Thursday, April 29, 2010

BJJ has ruined my wardrobe...


...none of my pants fit the same. The jeans are fine, but my actual suit pants, I swear I'm gonna have to donate them or something. They look better in a sense, but while I've gotten smaller, my hips are proportionately wider. Thanks hip escapes.
 
New new theme music: Lil Wayne's Steady Mobbin is on everytime...every...single time...I'm on my way to the gym. It's a great song, but it's so dirty the radio edit might as well be an instrumental. That and Say Ahh by Trey Songz. Not my style of music at all, but I really like it.
 
But yeah...another lady white belt has been catching me in armbars every time we roll and finally, tonight, I was able to get out of one using a technique or rather, a principle, I read up on a couple weeks back. Funny how things can take a while to sink in...or maybe a few failed attempts to understand.
 
I'm starting to wonder if I'm a lazy roller. Mid roll tonight my instructor called out to me to "move those hips!" (which made me laugh, because it sounded like a line  from the aforementioned Lil Wayne track). It's possible I just think too much. I've noticed that I stop to look and get a handle of what's going on in a position if I haven't been exposed to it.
 
I'm having some issues getting to my knees I THINK when I'm in kesa gatame. Lady wrestler keeps me pretty tight to the ground and when I try to turn my hips out, I hit a wall where I couldn't rotate anymore. I tried it again after she got me back in the position again and got a little bit further. I'll have to give it a shot again next time.

3 comments:

A.D. McClish said...

It doesn't sound like you're a lazy grappler. It's just training your body how to move and to KEEP moving, even when someone is smashing you flat against the mat. It might not seem like a lot of movement, but inch by inch you're working out.

Megan said...

Thanks A.D. ...this being my first participation in a sport, well, ever, the thought is always in the back of my head.

Jiujitsunista said...

"a few failed attempts to understand."

That can sum up my game completely. 95% of the things I do properly I did wrong the first few times, and noticed, oh I didn't do that, or I didn't hip out enough... then the next time I will do fix that mistake, only to get something wrong in the next step. Only when I make it though all the steps incorrectly, do I finally get it right. Though, generally, once I have worked it out I remember all the steps and can execute them in a grapple provided I'm just not flat out matched ... or someone does something weird... which is happens a lot. =)

And that is awesome that your clothes are starting to fit differently. After 9 months, I have had to replace my entire wardrobe, and while kind of annoying, I gotta say it is one of the best feelings ever. =)