Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Dip and The Guard


So I've been reading a lot of Seth Godin's stuff lately. Always been a big fan of his blog, but I just got started on his longer works. I finished The Dip last week, and while it mostly pertains to career/work, it really got me thinking about where I invest time in BJJ. It especially got me thinking about standing guard passes. One of the principles in the book is recognizing activities in which you may get stuck in loops of non-production or give up before you see benefits. This pass gives me problems on two levels:

The mental: I'm scared. Standing like that makes me feel vulnerable and I worry about my knees. 
The physical: I have bad knees and when I stand, a high COG. I also can't do a full squat, so that family of passes just might not be well suited to my body type.

The big question is, even if I can work through the mental barriers, is it even worth it considering who I am physically? Are there better things, things that wouldn't leave me stuck in a cul-de-sac (as Godin calls it) that I could be spending my time on? That's not to say it's not worth knowing the pass, but is it something I want to spend time on when I could be drilling more effective techniques?

My decision now is to learn it, be comfortable with it, but leave it there. Mastery of it just may not yield many returns for me.

In other news, I've been down for a week for medical reasons and yeah...BJJ withdrawal is NOT cute. I just started drilling again last night and it was good to do some hip escapes again. Can't wait 'til Monday though...

2 comments:

Liam H Wandi said...

"BJJ withdrawal is not cute"

So true! Who cares how you pass guard, as long as you get to side control heaven :o)

BJJFamilyMatters.com said...

The mental barrier can be so strong - I continue to struggle with this (Jen)