Besides some insight into breaking grips, that was my big realization of the night. I left the gym...somehow covered in glitter. A friend joked that I'd been to a pole dancing class that's all the rage now and it hit me that pole dancing is the opposite of jiu jitsu for the following reasons:
- In pole dancing, clothing is minimized...in jiu jitsu, you're likely wearing a huge, unflattering, rough slab of thick woven cotton covering you from your neck to your ankles.
- In jiu jitsu you're wearing no shoes. Pole dancing...
- Pole dancing, it's rare to find a man in the class...in jiu jitsu, lots of guys.
- Pole dancing, no contact, no touching...jiu jitsu, lots of contact, lots of touching. So much touching.
- Jiu jitsu, 90% of the time, you're on the ground...pole dancing, you're spending a lot of time in the air.
- Feel free to add your own!
**Disclaimer: Apologies to pole dancing aficionados if I got any of that wrong. I've never taken a class (I don't see how you guys get over the fear of falling) so I speak purely from the tales of friends.