Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Battling the Baker



My eternal struggle to eat better persists.

In my 20s, I pretty much conquered the beasts of portion size and boredom eating. Now I have two, almost Herculean obstacles to overcome. Pastries and Greenery.



I love to bake. I bake when bored. If I want a chocolate cake with mousse filling and a hazelnut ganache, I can get one together as an after work project. Stressed? Better make a creme brulee. So, in an effort to slow down the eating, I've started freezing. It seems to be helping, since eating is more of result of seeing the effects of my cooking than an end unto itself. My freezer is now happy brimming with chocolate chip cream cheese brownies, a cupcake, leftover creme anglaise (which I FINALLY made without it curdling) and a couple slices of chocolate bourbon chess pie.


On the greenery front, I've started making Indian for work lunches. Honestly, I've always been scared of eating foods that were too heavily spiced on days that I train. I'm paranoid I'll be sweating curry from my pores. Not like I'd be able to tell, but things seem to be going ok so far. I've been trying out some pre-packaged sauces (which I learned from a cashier, are pronounced, "Shere Hahn" and are actually Pakistani in origin) and amping up the vegetable content. I think this will be a battle I'm fighting for the rest of my life. 

4 comments:

A.D. McClish said...

Wow...I would have no self control in your kitchen. lol. My biggest cravings, though, are for cheesy things and fried things. Really bad!

Megan said...

Mmmm...fried cheese...

Mrs. Ibarra said...

Oh Megan...I feel your struggle. Just take it one day at a time! :)

Shark Girl said...

I have a pastry problem, too. I'd be happy to take some of those sweets off your hands. : )